Friday, May 1, 2009

Kena Saman by New Zealand Police


Last friday, I was chilling out at my friends' flat after working so much on assignments, I almost fainted. It was at Toraa, along with Peter and Fung, we chit chat about politics, geography and the tv shows we were watching. we did that until 2am then I and Fung decided to go home.

My house is 15minutes away from Toroa if I walk, so usually I would bike over which save so much time. I bought this second hand bike for NZ120(rm250)and does not have any lights installed.

On the way home, I saw a car in front of me and he flashes the car lights at me, then I thought they must be some kind of drunks trying to disturb me, so I biked faster to avoid them. surprisingly, the car began to chase me, then come close to me. I was like, are you kidding me? go home drunks! then they began to shout at me, saying : " hey, PULLOVER!".then I look clearly inside the car, they were Policemen! Oh my Gawd...then I stopped immediately.

That really 'made' my day when she told me you have no lights installed, you know it's dangerous to do that? I was like, I don't have the slightest idea that you have to put lights on for a bike, Malaysia doesn't do that. she was like...you gotta be kidding me!
then she complained about my helmet being too small for my head, then I told her, I've searched for a bigger helmet in the entire Dunedin, but I could not find one because my head is just too big to fit into a helmet. then she was like ".....................".
so she said fined me NZ55(rm110)for that.

Everyone must have thought kena saman is just for cars, but in NZ, I kena saman because I bike and my bike does not have lights installed!!
Never have I been saman in Malaysia or anywhere, I thought my very first saman is gonna be given when I was driving, It was not, It was biking!!!


Thus, NZ$55 just fly away like that, plus I just bought 2 lights, one for the front, one for the rear. which cost me around NZ$70(rm140). oh my Lord.

The moral of this story is that, we have to be careful of the police that's gonna appear anytime to fine ya. It also shows that Malaysia and New Zealand is different in strictness and types of laws and rules applied. People also ask if you can 'discuss' or give some 'kopi O' to the police, I believed NZ being one of the cleanest country in the world in terms of transparency and corruption would not fell into that, I may masuk lokap if i try to bribe them. Also, by principle I would never bribe a police even in Malaysia.
Find it interesting to share with you guys, so yeah..hope you guys enjoy the story.

2 comments:

pEaCe said...

goshhh...i can't imagine getting it at malaysia.sure those public will bit up the policeman.. hahaahhhh.. but i know in overseas, is always strict.i prefer in that way.so that people won't get easy doing something wrong.heheh..hope u do enjoy getting your ever first letter from abroad..! lol...

WarsongLord said...

hhahahaha... what a 'nice' experience.